The base of my sculpture is plywood...whatever I can find dumpster diving at the construction site next door. This piece is 3/8" I think. I found an image of a whale I liked online.
and Ta Da!!!! my whale
I painted the plywood a gray brown to hide any wood that would show through the "sticks"
Now of course, I don't have any progress pictures of actually gluing on the kiawe pieces...but I just sort of laid out a pattern that looked like the whale i.e. fins...tail...etc and used E6000 glue to adhere the individual pieces. I used a flat landscaping stone for the eye...just glued curved pieces of wood around it to simulate his eye folds. Didn't really take long at all. I used a large picture hanger thingy on back, hammered a nail right into the plaster and hung my "sculpture". It's pretty heavy...I was concerned it might not like being outside during wind storms...but we've weathered some pretty severe storms and it's still hanging in there. Here's how it looks in the BBQ area
I've done some turtles...I'll share those in my next post!