I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Reversible Placemats and Matching Napkins

I've been seeing lots of things made of burlap lately and thought I wanted to give it a try.  The rough texture is appealing and I thought an image silkscreened on it would have a fun bumpy look.  Placemats  are something I can always use and figured a fun nautical theme would work best for the Hawaii House.  I knew these needed to be lined...and if I did a good enough job they'd be reversible.  I found some great ticking in blue and white that I thought would go with my concept.

 I used my Cricut to cut out the stencil of 
randomly placed lighthouses using contact paper.
I adhered the contact paper to my silkscreen
and printed on the roughly cut rectangles

When I mixed the ink it matched the ticking quite well,
unfortunately when it dried it was not close...oh well
I serged the ticking to the burlap to make sure nothing raveled, 
turned right side out, ironed, then topstitched around the edges.

I made matching napkins with the leftover ticking...
mitered corners make for a finished look.





UndertheTableandDreaming

No comments:

Post a Comment