I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Port Removal T-shirts

Well...this is going to step way out of the blogosphere comfort zone...but I did an arty project the last few days to celebrate a HUGE moment in my life.  I have stage IV colon cancer...have had for 4 years.  I've done surgery, chemo, radiation, ct scans, PET scans, blood tests...all the icky things that go along with fighting cancer.  My celebration?  Last week I had my 27th ct scan 2 years AFTER having finished chemotherapy,  it came out clean, clear and perfect!  It is a BIG milestone in the battle.  I finally get to have my port-a-cath removed (the medical device implanted in the chest to facilitate chemotherapy).  So...I'm throwing myself a "port removal dinner party" for all the friends who have helped me with this journey.  I thought everyone needed a party favor to commemorate the event so I silkscreened t-shirts!!!!
I made 13 of them...one for myself and all the guests.
these aren't really a fashion statement, but
I put all the little things on them that mean 
something to me.  those of us who have had a colon resection
refer to ourselves as "semi-colons"...the port is over the 
right collarbone, radiation symbol on one sleeve



and one of my favorite little sayings...

and on the back...the reason for 
my party...the dates I've worn the port!!!

forgive me if I've offended anyone...
but it's a VERY BIG WEEK for me

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful reason to party! I want to congratulate you from the bottom of my heart - on your recovery, as well as your strength and courage. I really hope it's gonna be nothing but smooth sailing for you and your family from now on :)

    P.S. I love the T-shirts, so much rockstarness :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS Hana...I was a little reluctant to post that...but soooo glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, Congrats on your recovery! You have a great reason to be celebrating. My husband is also a cancer survivor so I know the last four years have not been easy for you. I wish you nothing less than a healthy and happy life. Now go celebrate!!
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Laurie, that's a super significant milestone - congratulations! I love the shirts and bet your guests will too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie,
    Good for you! Wow, you are very brave and courageous. From the outside, I see a person with a beautiful life, and would never have guessed what you were going through. Congratulations to you. You've given me so many ideas, and been a great inspiration creatively. Thank you, and please carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finding your blog and loving all the beautiful projects and photos of your Hawaii home.. Then I scrolled down and saw this. So wonderful! I have a friend just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer this week and she is just 42. To hear you have beat it is wonderful and so inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story and giving hope! I will forward this blog to her!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete