I find everyday presents inspirations for projects. Hope you enjoy my ideas.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wild Bird Seed Bag Shopping Tote

I've been trying to take shopping bags with me to the market lately.  I figure the fewer plastic bags blowing in the wind the better.  I have a couple totes I keep in the car, but can l aways use more.  Since I feed the birds here at the Hawaii House everyday...I go through a 40 pound birdseed sack every couple of weeks.  They're very sturdy and sort of decorative...I figured one would make a great shopping tote.  You'll need one heavy duty feed bag (or rice or bean or other large bag)
Next, cut off the top and bottom edges


Turn inside out.  To form a flat bottom to the tote, open up the bag "as a square" then pinch in the sides until they meet in the middle.  Sew across the layers several times to reinforce the seam.
 



Turn right side out, press the bottom seam down with your hands and push out towards the corners to create the flat bottom


Fold over the top edge of the bag and sew 


Use the pieces cut from the first step to make your handles.  Fold over edges and sew down the middle.


Attach handles to the bag, reinforce the stitching to make it strong enough to hold your groceries!


And...you're ready for the market!




Visit thecsiproject.com


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I have a dog food bag that will be perfect for this project! Wouldn't it be fun to take this to IKEA and one up 'em?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved a big pink C&H sugar bag to do this with, but that's as far as it got. Now I'm inspired to actually finish it. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alpinelife...couldn't find an e:mail address to wirte you back. Let me know how the dog food sack comes out. I LOVE Garmisch...why are you living there??? We lived in Torino many years ago...super experience. German was my minor in college...but...ugh...it's VERY rusty now. Thanks for commenting. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration! I made one from cat food bags...they have the cutest pictures on them. It works great! I posted pictures of it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like this site it is very nice for me
    Pizza Delivery Bags


    http://www.deliverybagsus.com/

    ReplyDelete